Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A Letter to My MP

So here is a little letter i've written to my MP. i haven't sent it yet b/c i'm not sure how coherent it is (mainly b/c of the medicine i'm on.) so please give me some feed back and i'll fix it up and send it ! thanks.
R.

Dear Ms. Guergis
My name is Robyn Symons and I am one of your constituents from the far south of your riding; Beeton. And while I am currently away at school, I have a request. I am writing to you today because of my great concern in regards to the Bill that was put in front of the house today. I am a strong opponent the legalization of same sex marriage [civil or otherwise] and would like my view represented in your vote. While I understand that many constituents may disagree with my stance on the issue I would like you to strongly consider voting against the Bill.
I have been very concerned lately with recent moves to abandon tradition simply for the sake of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. While I recognize that the Charter is a well intentioned document, I would like to point out that it is a very young document that was not chosen by the people of Canada. As well, it was conceived quickly and crafted poorly in attempts to give Trudeau a legacy. I do not deny that the general concept of the Charter is a nice idea but really, with only a portion of our constitution written, what was the point of the Charter? Could conventions not have carried us through? And now we turn away from convention because the ‘holy’ Charter makes it seemingly ‘sacrilege’ to do otherwise. This document is not divinely inspired and needs to be looked at in this light. We are not Americans and do not need to worship our pieces of paper as they worship their constitution.
Secondly, I have great difficulty with the Supreme Court acting the way it has been. The function of the judicial review since the birth of the Charter has given these 9 judges FAR too much power. Suddenly the government policy is decided my appointed officials who appear to be infallible. But they too are human and should not technically be responsible for the direction the country heads. The Liberals have been using the Supreme Court as an excuse to put this bill through, and the Supreme Court has only to look at the Charter for its back up. However the base on which this whole thing is centered, the Charter, is flawed. Ms. Guergis, I entreat you to stand up for the morals of Canadian society that were not protected by the Charter. I respectfully request that as my representative you vote against the Bill legalizing same sex civil unions. The Charter is not sacred, it is not perfect and should not be treated as such. The collective rights of Canadians need to be stood up for just as much as the individual ones.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my letter and responding.
Sincerely
Robyn Symons

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on actually taking the time to write a letter! Not many people do... If you want constructive criticism, you might want to edit the part about Trudeau's legacy. I don't actually know anything about Trudeau's legacy, but in the context it sounds a bit too opinionated/unrelated to the point (maybe that doesn't make sense since it's your opinion). Otherwise it's good! Evan

10:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home