Monday, April 25, 2005

Blessed Are The Meek

Well, I have one exam left (tomorrow) then I’m off to DC for my first solo trip down. Anyway, I just wanted to address my last post. Firstly, thanks to those who commented…you were all very nice. I actually wasn’t expecting such nice things to be said about me... not that I’m trying to sound self deprecating…Its just that often when people describe me I hear words like; feisty, aggressive etc. This seems very odd to me as I do not see my self in this light. I guess I’m just so used to being me that I don’t notice that I’m assertive or intimidating. I certaily don't see myself as the opposite though.
These days I’ve been thinking a lot about who I am and how I got to be who I am and who I want to be. And I think that looking at how other people see you is an important part of really making yourself who you want to be. Its no good if you're really trying to be something but others don’t see it.
I’ve been thinking for a couple of days about the word meek. Its listed as one of the fruits of the spirit and also “blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth’ (matt 5:5) Meekness is def. not something that is often attributed to me. I know that meekness doesn’t have to be weakness but sometimes I wonder how it differs from being a doormat or how it would work if everyone was meek. It makes me think of mice or dogs cowering away from you b/c they know they’ve done something wrong. I know that I’m supposed to want to be meek… but I don’t. maybe its b/c my definition is a little messed up right now. Maybe its b/c its not something that the world sees as at all beneficial and I’m getting sucked into that. Maybe its b/c I feel like its contrary to my personality. I’m not sure… I just don’t even know how I’d go about becoming meek if I wanted to.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Fulford said...

Here's some comments (and I guess a rough definition of how it works out in practice) from a couple scholars I trust:

Happy are the meek By the meek he means persons of mild and gentle dispositions, who are not easily provoked by injuries, who are not ready to take offense, but are prepared to endure anything rather than do the like actions to wicked men. When Christ promises to such persons the inheritance of the earth, we might think it exceedingly foolish. Those who warmly repel any attacks, and whose hand is ever ready to revenge injuries, are rather the persons who claim for themselves the dominion of the earth. And experience certainly shows that, the more mildly their wickedness is endured, the more bold and insolent does it become. Hence arises the diabolical proverb, that “We must howl with the wolves, because the wolves will immediately devour every one who makes himself a sheep.” But Christ places his own protection, and that of the Father, in contrast with the fury and violence of wicked men, and declares, on good grounds, that the meek will be the lords and heirs of the earth The children of this world never think themselves safe, but when they fiercely revenge the injuries that are done them, and defend their life by the “weapons of war,” (Ezekiel 32:27.) But as we must believe, that Christ alone is the guardian of our life, all that remains for us is to “hide ourselves under the shadow of his wings,” (Psalm 17:8.) We must be sheep, if we wish to be reckoned a part of his flock.
It will perhaps be objected, that what has been now said is contradicted by experience. I would first suggest that it be considered, how greatly ferocious people are disturbed by their own restlessness. While they lead so stormy a life, though they were a hundred times lords of the earth, while they possess all, they certainly possess nothing. For the children of God, on the other hand, I answer, that though they may not plant their foot on what is their own, they enjoy a quiet residence on the earth. And this is no imaginary possession; for they know, that the earth, which they inhabit, has been granted to them by God. Besides, the hand of God is interposed to protect them against the violence and fury of wicked men. Though exposed to every species of attack, subject to the malice of wicked men, surrounded by all kinds of danger, they are safe under the divine protection. They have already a foretaste, at least, of this grace of God; and that is enough for them, till they enter, at the last day, into the possession of the inheritance of the world.


The other scholar:

Israel longs for YHWH's kingdom to come. She is ready to work and struggle and fight to bring it in. But the people to whom it belongs are the poor in spirit. Israel longs for consolation, for paraklesis. But YWHW has in mind to give her, not the consolation of a national revival, in which her old wounds will be heald by inflicting wounds on others, but the consolation awaiting those who are in genuine grief. Israel desires to inherit the earth; she must do it in Jesus' way, by meekness. Israel thirst for justice; but the justice she is offered does not come by way of battles against physical enemies. It is not the way of anger, of a 'justice' which really means 'vengeance'. It is the way of humility and gentleness. Israel longs for mercy, not least the eschatological mercy of final rescue from her enemies. But mercy is reserved for the merciful, not the vengeful. ... [the quote goes on explaining them, but I don't want to keep typing...]

Anyway, this might not help... but maybe it will. I dunno.

10:44 p.m.  
Blogger Andrew Fulford said...

Nope, its that heretic Johnny C ;-)

7:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home