Thursday, March 31, 2005

Today's thoughts (wow, thats a creative title)

So i'm in the library wasting time between classes and here is what i am thinking about today. its not very coherent but just the random thoughts spinning about in my noggin today.

Why does it bother me when people say "how can i help you miss" or worse "ma'me"? Is it politeness on their part or am i somehow feeling guilt for the supposed class differences that it implies? If someone 2x my senior calls me miss, why do i cringe? When i see someone in their 50s mopping the floor that i dirtied, why to i shudder? Do i fear that, that will be me? Do I feel bad because i'm 'going somewhere'? How am i supposed to react?
I suppose that being polite is one thing. but i feel condecending. I feel patronizing. I feel like they see through my thankyous and resent me. I feel like when i give a friendly smile they roll their eyes when i leave. I just can't think of how to do it well, how to not come across as a 'rich university kid' looking down on them.
but maybe they are content. maybe they have a passion for service. i don't know.
i just hope that i'm not coming across as condecending b/c i really don't see people in service as any less.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Fulford said...

Wow Keith. Pretty rough. You might as well call her a Satanist... LOL

8:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home