Monday, January 09, 2006

Them

I’ve often heard of how referring to people as a ‘them’ is bad. The idea of being the other, of not being part of us, of being outside of a group isn’t something that I often feel. As a white female it is rare that I’m in a situation where a group of people are referred to as a ‘them’ and I feel included in the ‘them’ and thus excluded from the ‘us’. Today in my very first American government class we were talking about differences between Canadian and American political systems and the point was brought forward that the US has a sizable religious vote. The prof then went on to discuss Christians in a tone one might use discussing a vile parasite and referred to the number of ‘them’ in the US in a way that made ‘us’ seem extremely threatening and dangerous. Naturally, there were people shaking their heads in disbelief about the sheer number of Christians in the US. I personally wanted to nod my head approvingly. I was, however, feeling extremely isolated at the time as I looked around the room and realized that to probably 90% if not more of the class Christians are a ‘them’ to them. And this group is seen as a bunch of crazed fundamentalists (in the worst use of the word) out to blow up abortion clinics. I was frustrated b/c I feel that the prof wouldn’t have referred to many other groups as a ‘them’. Not women, not black people and not homosexuals…that’s just politically incorrect. It is okay, however, to isolate Christians as a ‘them’ as not part of ‘us’. I’m probably being over sensitive about this whole thing but it really made me realize today that I am a ‘them’ in many ways and I’m okay with that. I guess since I’m not a visible minority, and instead an invisible minority its easier for me to blend in… appearance wise anyway. But this invisibility of my minority status has meant that I’ve lived my life largely unaware of my fundamental differences. Its only when I’m reminded of who I am…a ‘them’ that I really remember that I’m different. And I’m okay with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home